Experts believe the islands along the Texas coast began life as submerged sand bars about 4,500 years ago.
4,500 Years Ago
WILD HORSE ISLAND
The island was first called Wild Horse Island, and then Mustang Island because of the wild horses called “mestenos” brought to the island by the Spaniards in the 1800’s.
SAND POINT & ARANZAZU PASS
As the still natural pass attracted more and more commerce and updated charts were needed, there appeared an 1833 map which noted the location of what would become Port Aransas, but was then called Sand Point. The pass was given the name Aranzazu, which later became Aransas.
NEXT STOP: NEW ORLEANS
In the 1850’s regular steamship service ran between Mustang Island and New Orleans. The first deep draught steamship went through the Pass in 1859. Mercer Docks was destroyed during the 1875 Storm, thus ending the service.
Citizens began calling their town Port Aransas about 1910. The storm of 1919 virtually wiped out the town except for a few structures.
OLD WORLD MEETS NEW WORLD
The first known human occupants of the island were the Karankawa Indians. Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca was probably the first European to meet the Karankawas in 1528.
LAFITTE & BUCCANEERS
Jean Lafitte and his band of buccaneers spent a lot of time on neighboring islands as well as Mustang Island in the 1820’s. Legend has it that somewhere on the island is a Spanish dagger with a silver spike driven through the hilt marking the spot where Lafitte buried a chest of gold and jewels.
During the 1846-1848 Mexican War, a small fort was built on Mustang Island to guard the entrance to Aransas Bay. It was used until after the Civil War.
ROPESVILLE TO TARPON
The town of Mustang Island was called Ropesville by the early 1890’s but changed its name to Tarpon by 1899 because of the large numbers of the fish being caught in its waters. The population at that time was about 250.
SEA TURTLE EXPORT
At the turn of the century, the village was doing big business in sea turtle export with some catches weighing up to 500 pounds. They were shipped live, on their backs, to market. It is estimated that some 600+ species of saltwater fish inhabit the waters off the island.
Turn of the Century
VISIT PORT ARANSAS’S HISTORICAL MARKERS
- Lydia Ann lighthouse and historical cemetery
- The Tarpon Inn
- Aransas Pass C.S.A.
- World War II Coastal Defenses at the Aransas Pass
- United States Coast Guard on Mustang Island
- The island of Mustang Island
- Mercer Family on Mustang Island marker at the museum
MORE PORT ARANSAS/MUSTANG ISLAND HISTORY
The museum located at Alister and Brundrett and take a look at the 1st edition of The Mercer Logs: Pioneer Times on Mustang Island
The University of Texas Marine Science Institute Marine Science Education Center, located on Cotter at the beach.